● Heri Bomani was featured as a speaker at the British Council Management Forum. The session was entitled “The relevance of business strategy in Tanzania”.
UPDATES FROM THE FELLOWS
● Norah Owaraga has developed a series of nine training note books introducing the “Self-Reliant Participatory Development Methodology”.
● Julie Gichuru has been nominated as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum and is also now on the Africa Advisory Board for MYC4, and internet platform designed to support small business and assist in the noble goal of ending poverty by supporting sustainable businesses www.myc4.com
Julie also spearheaded efforts by Royal Media Services with the support of Google, to ensure that Kenyans were engaged in the elections and the inauguration of President Barack Obama, through live screenings in all major cities and in Kogelo village. During the inauguration live screenings were arranged and had a hugely successful session at the University of Nairobi where well over 8,000 students gathered to watch the historic event.
● Martin Kimani: Has been asked to speak at the Frontline Club in London (see here) and has spoken on the BBC recently on the disastrous multi-national campaign for the Lords Resistance Army (LRA).
● Dr. Abdul Sebbaale has been elected Chairman of the Uganda Cricket Association and Executive Director for the Africa Cricket Association responsible for Uganda Kenya Tanzania Rwanda and Burundi
● Class 1 Fellow, Elkanah Odembo has been appointed by His Excellency, the President of Kenya as Kenya’s Ambassador to France with accreditation to Portugal, Serbia and Vatican City).
● Aidan Eyakuze and Julie Gichuru. 'On December 2, 2008, the Society for International Development (SID) launched the State of East Africa Report 2008 entitled "Nature under Pressure" at a ceremony presided over by Ambassador Juma Mwapachu, Secretary-General of the East African Community.
The report was conceived of and authored by Aidan Eyakuze. Fellow Fellow and journalist Julie Gichuru spoke inspiringly about the Future of Identity in East Africa following the launch of the report. The report received press coverage in The Nation newspaper and the East African News paper. For full articles see links below:
● Wahome Muchiri was interviewed by the Business daily. The article is entitled “Deacons enters shoe market with Angelo brand.” Follow link below for article:
● Paul Kavuma was interviewed by the Business Daily. The article was entitled “Actis would consider investing in rail concession” http://www.bdafrica.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11240&Itemid=5812
● Salim Amin was in the Financial Times’ “This is Africa Magazine” The article is entitled “Their own story.” Spurred on by a vacuum of local media content, his effort A24 news service is fighting to deliver the real Africa stories to the world”